About the Ministry
The Ministry of Information , Communications and Technology (ICT) has responsibility for formulating, administering, managing and developing the Information, Broadcasting and Communication policy. In May, 2016, through an Executive Order No. 1/2016, the Ministry was split into two state Departments.
The State Department of Broadcasting and Telecommunications and The State Department of ICT and Innovation.
To make Kenya a competitive knowledge-based economy.
To facilitate universal access to ICT infrastructure and services all over the country
The mandate of the Ministry as derived from Presidential Executive Order No.1/2016 of May 2016 comprises the formulation of policies and laws that regulate standards and services in the Information, Communication and Technology (ICT) sector, Telecommunications and the Media industry. It is also charged with the responsibility of developing and administering ICT standards, building capacity of mass media and ICT, and the dissemination of public information through the Kenya Broadcasting Corporation (KBC).
- Accountability and transparency
- Equity and equality
- Professionalism and ethical practices
- Teamwork and passion for results
- Honesty and integrity
- Innovativeness and creativity
- Efficiency and effectiveness
Function of the Ministry
The function of the Ministry is executed by the two State Departments as outlined in the Executive order No.1/2016
In fulfilling its core functions, and in light of prevailing environment, the Ministry has adopted the following policy priorities:
- Implementation of service charter
- Capacity building in the ICT sector
- Modernization of equipment
- Mainstreaming the HIV/AIDS, health and safety activities in the Ministry
- Facilitation of the Development of knowledge based information society
- Continuous review of the legal framework
- Promotion of regional and international corporation in ICT issues
- Creation of employment through outsourcing of ICT services
- Periodically review and update National ICT policy to facilitate development of the ICT sector