THE MEDIA COUNCIL OF KENYA ACT
(No. 46 of 2013)
DECLARATION OF VACANCIES
INEXERCISE of the powers conferred by Sections 7(2) of the Media Council of Kenya Act, 2013 the Cabinet Secretary for Information, Communications and Technology declares vacancies in the position of Chairperson and Member of the Media Council of Kenya and invites applications from suitably qualified persons for the position of Chairperson and Member of the Media Council of Kenya.
The applications shall be forwarded to the Selection Panel Pursuant to Section 7(3)and (7) of the Act, within seven (7) days of this notice.
The powers and functions of the Media Council of Kenya are as stipulated in sections 5 and 6 of the Act.
- QUALIFICATION FOR APPOINTMENT AS CHAIRPERSON OR MEMBER OF THE COUNCIL
A person shall be qualified for appointment as a Chairperson or member of the Council under section 8 of the Act, if that person is-
- A citizen of Kenya;
- Holds a degree from a university recognized in Kenya;
- Has knowledge and experience of at least ten years, in the case of the Chairperson,or seven years, in the case of a member, in matters relating to any of the following fields-
- Gender and human rights;
- Performing arts;
- Public relations;
- Religious studies;
- Humanities and social sciences; or
- Information technology.
iv) Meets the requirements of Chapter Six of the Constitution; and
v) Has had a distinguished career in their respective fields.
B. DISQUALIFICATION FOR APPOINTMENT AS A CHAIRPERSON OR MEMBER OF THE COUNCIL
A person shall not be qualified for appointment as a Chairperson or Member of the Council under section 8 (2) of the Act, if that person-
- Is a Member of Parliament or County Assembly;
- Is an official of a governing body of a political party;
- Has at any time within the preceding five years, held a political office;
- Is an undischarged bankrupt;
- Has been convicted of a felony;
- Has benefitted from, or facilitated an unlawful or irregular allocation,acquisition or use of land or other public property; or
- Has been removed from office for contravening the provisions of the Constitution or any other written law.
C. TERMS OF SERVICE
The Chairperson and Member of the Council shall hold office for a period of three years and shall be eligible for re-appointment for a further and final term of three years.
D. HOW TO APPLY
- Each application should be accompanied by a detailed curriculum vitae, copies or relevant academic and professional certificates, testimonials and other relevant supporting documents. Scanned copies of these documents must accompany online application.
- A copy of the National Identity Card or Passport should be appended.
- All applications should be clearly marked“Application for the position of Chairperson, Media Council of Kenya” or “Application for position of Member, Media Council of Kenya” and submitted in any ONE of the following ways-
- Manual applications should be hand delivered to the reception desk on Tenth Floor Telposta Towers, Off Koinange Street.
- Online applications should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Posted applications should be addressed to-
Selection Panel for the selection of the Chairperson and Member of the Media Council of Kenya.
Ministry of Information, Communications and Technology
P.O. Box 30025-00100
- Shortlisted applicants shall be required to obtain clearance from the following bodies-
- Kenya Revenue Authority;
- Higher Education Loans Board;
- Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission;
- Criminal Investigations Department; and
- Credit Reference Bureau.
- All applications should be received on or before 5.00 p.m. on 25th January, 2019.
JOE MUCHERU, EGH
For Information, Communications and Technology