The Kenya ICT Board began phase one of the nationwide Digital Village Entrepreneurship training on July 20th 2009 and completed it in January 2010. The main objective of the training is to equip the trainees with the requisite skills required to successfully run a digital village. The skills acquired are also transferable and can be applied in other entrepreneurial ventures. The trainees were selected from all constituencies across Kenya. 1,041 entrepreneurs have taken the digital village training course. The training covered the following areas:
- Introduction to the Pasha Project Concept
- Entrepreneurial and self employment
- Characteristics of successful ICT related entrepreneurs/ entrepreneurial business
- How to start and manage small businesses successfully: Business Plan concept
- Stages of business creation and why businesses fail
- Legal aspects of business creation
- Record Keeping in small business
- Sources of business finances and the Revolving fund
- Basic computer training for provision of ICT services in the Pasha centers
- Basic Pasha Services/ Bouquet of services
- Marketing and Communication strategy
- Quality control and Research
The Kenya ICT Board has learnt valuable lessons from this first phase both from the trainers and the trainees. To this end, we are in the process of reviewing the entire curriculum based on this feedback. Particular emphasis will be placed on business planning and marketing & communications. These areas were identified by trainers, trainees and experience from the existing PASHA pilot sites. The content will also be localised to reflect the local Kenyan situation.
Demand for the entrepreneurship training course has been massive. It is for this reason that the Kenya ICT Board will convert the course to eLearning. This will allow us to offer the course to more Kenyans at a fraction of the cost. eLearning is also flexible and will always be available online 24x7 as opposed to the traditional classroom based training.
Phase two of the eLearning and face to face entrepreneurship training is expected to begin once the current course has been reviewed.
The Trainees will be trained to manage (as businesses) Digital Villages/ Pasha Centres. They will undergo an ICT entrepreneurial training that will equip potential entrepreneurs to start and successfully manage their own business.
The training programme is designed for:-
- The entrepreneurial youth.
- Retrenched / retired employees who want to start their own businesses and require training in business creation, management end growth.
- Practicing businesspeople who want to expand into a new field.
The aim of this programme is to prepare unemployed, practicing and potential entrepreneurs to take charge of their lives and their future. After the training, the participants:-
- Will be equipped and enabled to start and manage a Digital Village
- Will be capable of preparing business plans and sourcing for funding
If you wish to participate in this training, you must meet the following criteria.
You must be:
* A Kenyan Citizens, eighteen (18) years of age and above
* A form four graduate and
* have basic computer studies/ skills
If you meet the aforementioned criteria, please complete the form in full online and attach a recent curriculum vitae (CV) and cover letter. Latitude on the submission of applications without cover letters or CV’s shall be accepted if:
* Numerous applicants from that location have the same omission.
* Applicants from that location are marginally represented in the national selection process.
The ranking scale below will then be used to rank applicants. The top ten (10) applicants will then be selected as potential Digital Village Entrepreneurs Trainees. In cases of similar scores among applicants, the selection committee shall refer to cover letters and curriculum vitae’s (CV’s).
|First Degree (undergraduate)||2|
The Kenya ICT Board will give priority to those who had applied earlier and are still waiting to be trained.